HOME > International Health Care Center > Severance Hospital > Introduction
Severance Hospital was founded in 1885 by an American missionary, Dr. Horace N. Allen (1858-1932), as the Royal Hospital Kwanghyewon (House of Extended Grace).
Soon after its creation, the hospital was renamed as Chejungwon (House of Universal Helpfulness), and in 1886, Chejungwon Medical School, Korea’s first modern medical school, was founded.
The hospital grew, and by 1899 it was determined that a new facility had to be erected. It was at the Ecumenical Missionary Conference in New York in 1900 that Louis H. Severance, an American philanthropist in the audience, first heard of the need for a modern hospital in Seoul. He had been hoping to fund a project of the sort and decided that Seoul would be an ideal place for his donation. The hospital was completed in September of 1904 and was named Severance Memorial Hospital. Since that time, Severance has been at the forefront of modern medicine in Korea. This includes the addition of a new 24-story, 1006-bed hospital building, which opened in May of 2005. Proud of its roots as the first Western hospital in Korea, Severance continues to distinguish itself as a world-class university hospital with state-of-the-art medical technology.
The Severance Hospital International Health Care Center first opened its doors in 1962 and has been expanding its services ever since. The center is staffed by doctors and nurses who are fluent in several languages (e.g. English, Korean, Chinese), and ready to serve the medical needs of foreigners in Korea. The center maintains an atmosphere of comfort and assurance, providing quality medical care and referrals to specialists throughout the hospital.
Severance Hospital is a tertiary referral hospital holding renowned specialists in various fields of medicine, offering a multidisciplinary approach. As such, the International Health Care Center is capable of offering its patients the most comprehensive treatment available.